Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1O Flash Unit
Get Metz 50 AF-1O Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Metz
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Metal base with quick lock
The mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital is the new generation of the 48 AF-1 digital, winner of the TIPA Award for Best Photographic Accessory 2008. All the benefits of the previous model have been retained and numerous further developments have also been added. The elegant housing can be mounted onto the camera flash shoe via the new metal base and fixed in place quickly and easily with a single movement thanks to the optimized lock system. The guide number has been increased to 165 (ft) / 50 (m) for ISO 100/21° and 105 mm focal length. Performance and reliability have been further optimized through improvements to the high performance flash tube. Moreover, the flash has been equipped with a servo flash release via the camera's internal flash which also works independently of the camera's master function. Even the wide-angle diffuser has been adapted and is now even suitable for illumination of wide-angle focal lengths from 12 mm (135 format).
Like all mecablitz system flash units, the 50 AF-1 flash unit is available in different versions, perfectly tailored to digital cameras made by the leading manufacturers. The premium Metz model 50 AF-1 O digital is the ideal complement to Olympus digital SLR camera systems as well as the compatible Panasonic and Leica digital cameras. The 50 AF 1 O digital supports FourThirds System TTL flash control. Stylishly designed, the Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital also provides state-of-the-art technology. Equipped with a USB interface enabling firmware updating via Internet, it is every bit as innovative as its big brother, the 58 AF-2 digital. The mecablitz 50 AF-1 is a smart flash, thanks to its fully-automatic flash system, ensuring the right amount of light output for every situation.
Various manually-operated functions increase the scope of photographic creativity. Almost unlimited possibilities for creative exposure in your photography become possible, supported by a full swivel reflector system, including an extractable reflector card and a diffuser. With its slave function the 50 AF-1 digital can even be used detached from the camera. A first-class flash unit for dedicated amateur photographers at a particularly attractive cost-effective price.
Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1O Flash Key Features
- Dedicated FourThirds System Flash Functions Including TTL Flash Control and High Speed Synchronization (HSS)
- The compact and powerful Metz 50 AF-1O has been specifically designed for Olympus, Panasonic and Leica cameras, in particular their FourThirds System digital SLRs. The supported flash functions depend on the specific camera model used. The following dedicated flash functions are supported by the flash unit:
- Flash-ready indication in camera viewfinder/camera display
- Automatic flash sync speed control
- FourThirds System compatible
- Automatic flash / triggering control
- TTL with measuring preflash
- Automatic fill-in flash control
- Manual flash exposure correction for TTL
- 1st or 2nd curtain synchronization (2nd curtain, SLOW2)
- FP high speed synchronization (HSS) with TTL and M
- Automatic motor zoom control
- Automatic AF measuring beam control
- Automatic flash range indication
- Programmed flash mode
- Preflash function for reducing the red-eye effect
- Wireless TTL remote flash mode
- Wake-up function for the flash unit
Integrated Reflector Card
- Guide Number 165 (ft) / 50 (m)
- Guide Number 165 (ft) / Guide Number 50 (m) at ISO 100 at 21°C and 105mm focal length.
- Firmware Updates Via USB Interface
- Like its big brother, the 58 AF-1 digital, the 50 AF-1O compact flash unit features a USB socket. With this popular PC interface, updates can be made via the Internet at any time, even from home. The flash unit's firmware can be updated through the USB port and adjusted to the technical requirements of future cameras.
- Swivel and Tilt Reflector For Indirect Flash Lighting
- The main reflector of the flash unit can be swivelled 300° horizontally and tilted vertically for bounce flash. The zoom reflector can be tilted upwards into five locking positions for bounce flashes: -7°, 45°, 60°, 75° and 90°.
- Integrated Flip-Open Reflector Card
- The use of bounce flash with the integrated reflector card can bring out highlights in the eyes of human subjects. A reflector card which can be flipped open has been integrated into the 50 AF-1O's vertically-tilting and horizontally-swivelling reflector. In addition, the Metz MZ58235 Bounce Diffuser is available as an optional accessory to scatter and diffuse bounce flash lighting.
- Integrated Wide-Angle Diffuser For 12 mm
- With a similarly-integrated snap-out wide angle lens diffuser, the 50 AF-1 digital can even illuminate wide-angle lens focal lengths from 12mm (35mm format).
- Manual Flash Mode With Full And Partial Lighting Levels
- Full light output and partial light output levels from 1/1 to 1/128 light output in one-third increments available.
- Illuminated LCD Display
- Canon EOS cameras transmit the ISO film speed, focal length (mm), f-stop and exposure correction to the flash unit so that the flash unit automatically adapts its settings accordingly. The maximum flash range is then calculated from these values and the flash unit's guide number. Flash mode, maximum flash range, aperture and the zoom reflector position are all indicated by the LCD display of the flash unit.
- Wireless Remote Flash Mode
- The 50 AF-1O flash unit is compatible as a slave flash unit with the wireless Olympus RC flash system (RC = remote control or remote mode). With it one or more slave flash units can be remotely and wirelessly controlled by the camera's built-in flash unit, which operates as the controller flash unit (remote mode). In this process, the flash of the controller flash unit has a control function for the slave flash units, and does not itself contribute to any significant extent to lighting the shot. The slave flash units must be able to receive the light from the controller flash unit with the integrated sensor for remote mode.
The wireless Olympus RC flash system supports TTL, automatic A and Manual M remote modes. The remote mode is selected on the camera. FP high-speed synchronization is also supported in TTL and manual M remote modes (see camera's operating instructions for settings and more information). The selected remote mode is automatically transmitted by the controller to the slave flash unit
- Cobra Design
- The mecablitz 50 AF-1O utilizes Metz' modernistic upright Cobra design, which also reduces red eye effect.
Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1O Specifications
- Flash Output Guide Number
- GN 50 (m) / GN 165 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 105mm focal length
GN 36 (m) / GN 118 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 50mm focal length
- Power Sources
- Four AA batteries: alkaline or lithium
Four AA rechargeable batteries: NiMH or NiCad
- Recycle Time (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 3.5 seconds
- Number of Flashes (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 210 with high-capacity alkaline manganese batteries
Approx. 330 with 2100 mAh NiMH batteries
Approx. 460 with lithium batteries
- Manual Partial Light Output Levels
- 1/1 to 1/128 light output, in one-third increments
- Color Temperature
- Approx. 5600° K
- Film Speed
- ISO 6 to ISO 6400
- Light Coverage
- Main reflector from 24mm (35mm format)
Main reflector with wide-angle diffuser from 12mm (35mm format)
- Reflector Swivelling Ranges and Locking Positions
- Vertical: 90°, 75°, 60°, 45°, -7°
counter-clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120° 150° 180°
clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120°
- Approx. 15.9 oz. (452 g) with batteries
- Dimensions(W x H x D)
- Approx. 2.8" x 5.4" x 3.9" (71 x 137 x 99mm)