Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1S Flash Unit
Get Metz 50 AF-1S Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Metz
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital is the new generation of the 48 AF-1 digital, winner of the TIPA Award for Best Photographic Accessory 2008. All the benefits of the previous model have been retained and numerous further developments have also been added. The guide number has been increased to 165 (ft) / 50 (m) for ISO 100/21° and 105 mm focal length. Performance and reliability have been further optimized through improvements to the high performance flash tube. Moreover, the flash has been equipped with a servo flash release via the camera's internal flash which also works independently of the camera's master function. Even the wide-angle diffuser has been adapted and is now even suitable for illumination of wide-angle focal lengths from 12 mm (135 format).
Like all mecablitz system flash units, the 50 AF-1 flash unit is available in different versions, perfectly tailored to digital cameras made by the leading manufacturers. The premium Metz model 50 AF-1 O digital is the ideal complement to Sony Alpha cameras and digital Konica - Minolta Dynax / Dimage cameras. The 58 AF 2 S digital supports ADI flash coontrol and ADI remote mode (slave operation). Stylishly designed, the Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital also provides state-of-the-art technology. Equipped with a USB interface enabling firmware updating via Internet, it is every bit as innovative as its big brother, the 58 AF-2 digital. The mecablitz 50 AF-1 is a smart flash, thanks to its fully-automatic flash system, ensuring the right amount of light output for every situation.
Various manually-operated functions increase the scope of photographic creativity. Almost unlimited possibilities for creative exposure in your photography become possible, supported by a full swivel reflector system, including an extractable reflector card and a diffuser. With its slave function the 50 AF-1 digital can even be used detached from the camera. A first-class flash unit for dedicated amateur photographers at a particularly attractive cost-effective price.
Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1S Flash Key Features
- Dedicated Sony Alpha Flash Functions Including TTL Flash Control and ADI (Advanced Distance Integration)
- The compact and powerful Metz 50 AF-1S has been specifically designed for Sony Alpha digital SLRs and digital Konica - Minolta Dynax / Dimage cameras. The supported flash functions depend on the specific camera model used:
- Flash-ready indication in camera viewfinder
- Automatic flash sync speed control
- Standard TTL without measuring preflash)
- Preflash TTL and ADI metering
- Automatic fill-in flash control
- Manual flash exposure correction
- 1st or 2nd curtain synchronization (REAR)
- Automatic high speed synchronization (HSS) with TTL and M
- Automatic motor zoom control
- Extended zoom mode
- Automatic AF measuring beam control
- Automatic flash range indication
- Triggering control (AUTO FLASH)
- Wireless remote flash mode
- Wake-up function for the flash unit
Integrated Reflector Card
- Guide Number 165 (ft) / 50 (m)
- Guide Number 165 (ft) / Guide Number 50 (m) at ISO 100 at 21°C and 105mm focal length.
- Firmware Updates Via USB Interface
- Like its big brother, the 58 AF-1 digital, the 50 AF-1S compact flash unit features a USB socket. With this popular PC interface, updates can be made via the Internet at any time, even from home. The flash unit's firmware can be updated through the USB port and adjusted to the technical requirements of future cameras.
- Swivel and Tilt Reflector For Indirect Flash Lighting
- The main reflector of the flash unit can be swivelled 300° horizontally and tilted vertically for bounce flash. The zoom reflector can be tilted upwards into five locking positions for bounce flashes: -7°, 45°, 60°, 75° and 90°.
- Integrated Flip-Open Reflector Card
- The use of bounce flash with the integrated reflector card can bring out highlights in the eyes of human subjects. A reflector card which can be flipped open has been integrated into the 50 AF-1S's vertically-tilting and horizontally-swivelling reflector. In addition, the Metz MZ58235 Bounce Diffuser is available as an optional accessory to scatter and diffuse bounce flash lighting.
- Integrated Wide-Angle Diffuser For 12 mm
- With a similarly-integrated snap-out wide angle lens diffuser, the 50 AF-1 digital can even illuminate wide-angle lens focal lengths from 12mm (35mm format).
- Manual Flash Mode With Full And Partial Lighting Levels
- Full light output and partial light output levels from 1/1 to 1/128 light output in one-third increments available.
- Illuminated LCD Display
- Canon EOS cameras transmit the ISO film speed, focal length (mm), f-stop and exposure correction to the flash unit so that the flash unit automatically adapts its settings accordingly. The maximum flash range is then calculated from these values and the flash unit's guide number. Flash mode, maximum flash range, aperture and the zoom reflector position are all indicated by the LCD display of the flash unit.
- Wireless Remote Flash Mode
- The 50 AF-1S flash unit supports the wireless Sony remote system in the Control and Control Plus modes, depending on the camera system used. The Control and Control Plus modes are automatically detected. The slave flash units always work in the RMT group. The set-up can always be checked by pressing the AEL key on the camera. The slave flash unit must respond with a time-delayed flash. In this regard, it is possible for one or more slave flash units to be operated by wireless remote control, with the flash unit attached to the camera acting as the controller flash unit. The slave flash units must be able to receive the light from the controller flash unit via their integrated sensor for remote operation. Remote slave flash operation is only supported by digital reflex cameras.
- Cobra Design
- The mecablitz 50 AF-1S utilizes Metz' modernistic upright Cobra design, which also reduces red eye effect.
Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1S Specifications
- Flash Output Guide Number
- GN 50 (m) / GN 165 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 105mm focal length
GN 36 (m) / GN 118 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 50mm focal length
- Power Sources
- Four AA batteries: alkaline or lithium
Four AA rechargeable batteries: NiMH or NiCad
- Recycle Time (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 3.5 seconds
- Number of Flashes (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 210 with high-capacity alkaline manganese batteries
Approx. 330 with 2100 mAh NiMH batteries
Approx. 460 with lithium batteries
- Manual Partial Light Output Levels
- 1/1 to 1/128 light output, in one-third increments
- Color Temperature
- Approx. 5600° K
- Film Speed
- ISO 6 to ISO 6400
- Light Coverage
- Main reflector from 24mm (35mm format)
Main reflector with wide-angle diffuser from 12mm (35mm format)
- Reflector Swivelling Ranges and Locking Positions
- Vertical: 90°, 75°, 60°, 45°, -7°
counter-clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120° 150° 180°
clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120°
- Approx. 15.9 oz. (452 g) with batteries
- Dimensions(W x H x D)
- Approx. 2.8" x 5.4" x 3.9" (71 x 137 x 99mm)