Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2C Flash Unit
Get Metz 58 AF-2C Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Metz
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Metal base with quick lock
It looks sleek, meters flash lighting every which way, is intuitive to use and tremendously powerful. Designed by one of the leading industrial designers for technical products in Germany, the Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital provides state-of-the-art secondary reflector technology, high-performance power management, the latest generation multi-zone AF metering flash, full vertical tilt reflector system, the latest special functions, USB interface for software updates via Internet, and lots more. The premium Metz model 58 AF-2 C digital is the ideal complement to Canon cameras. The 58 AF 2 C digital supports Canon E-TTL and E-TTL II flash control.
With its high guide number 58(m) / 190(ft) at ISO 100/21° and 105mm focal length, the 58 AF-2 digital is not only powerful, but can also be used for excellent indirect flash lighting. A foldaway reflector card is integrated for its vertical and horizontal swivel-and-tilt reflector. Using the secondary reflector, additional brilliance in the close-up range can be achieved with this flash technology. At the same time, a particularly complex reflector technology enables even partial light output without additional filters! For off-camera situations, the 58 AF-2 C digital can also be used with the Canon E-TTL remote system, thanks to its integrated servo-flash release. The high-performance Power Pack P 76 is available for the 58-AF 2 digital. It allows a substantially higher number of flashes with reduced flash recovery time (rapid flash) when used in conjunction with the V 58-50 cable.
The top model in the Metz compact flash unit range has been further improved with numerous optical and functional features. The successor to the mecablitz 58 AF-1, which won the EISA Award for Best Flash Unit In Europe 2007/2008, the mecablitz 58 AF-2 has been equipped with a new stable metal base which can be attached to the camera flash shoe quickly and easily with one single movement thanks to the optimized lock system. Refinements such as the revised motor zoom mode and an improved high performance flash tube further increase the longevity of the product.
Its multi-functionality has been extended with additional features. The mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital offers servo flash release functionality via the integrated camera flash which is also perfectly compatible with cameras without master function. The slave/servo sensor has been integrated into the front of the flash unit to increase the transmission quality of wireless flashes. The wide-angle diffuser has also been adapted for illumination of wide-angle focal widths from 12 mm (35mm format).
Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2C Flash Key Features
- Dedicated Canon Flash Functions Including TTL / E-TTL / E-TTL II Flash Control and High Speed Synchronization (HSS)
- The compact and powerful Metz 58AF-2C has been specifically designed for Canon cameras, in particular their EOS digital SLRs. The supported flash functions depend on the specific Canon camera model used. The following dedicated flash functions are supported by the flash unit:
- Flash-ready indication in camera viewfinder
- Automatic flash sync speed control
- Standard TTL (without measuring preflash)
- E-TTL flash mode / E-TTL II flash mode
- Automatic fill-in flash control
- Manual flash exposure correction for TTL / E-TTL / E-TTL II
- Flash exposure storage FE with E-TTL / E-TTL II
- 1st or 2nd curtain synchronization (REAR)
- Automatic high speed synchronization (HSS) with E-TTL / E-TTL II and M
- Automatic motor zoom control
- Extended zoom mode
- Automatic AF measuring beam control (multi-zone AF measuring beam)
- Automatic flash range indication
- Programmed auto flash mode (AUTO FLASH)
- Wireless Canon E-TTL remote flash mode
- Wake-up function for the flash unit
- Guide Number 190 (ft) / 58 (m)
- Guide Number 190 (ft) / Guide Number 58 (m) at ISO 100 at 21°C and 105mm focal length.
- Firmware Updates Via USB Interface
- The 58 AF-2's predecessor was the first compact flash unit with a USB socket. With this popular PC interface, updates can be made via the Internet at any time, even from home. The flash unit's firmware can be updated through the USB port and adjusted to the technical requirements of future cameras.
- Swivel and Tilt Main Reflector For Indirect Flash Lighting
- The main reflector of the flash unit can be swivelled 300° horizontally and tilted vertically for bounce flash. The zoom reflector can be tilted upwards into five locking positions for bounce flashes: -7°, 45°, 60°, 75° and 90°.
Integrated Reflector Card
- Integrated Reflector Card For Main Reflector and Secondary Reflector With Two Light Output Levels
- The use of bounce flash with the integrated reflector card can bring out highlights in the eyes of human subjects. When the main reflector is swivelled or tilted, the secondary reflector can also be activated for frontal fill-in lighting of the subject. When the secondary reflector is activated, approximately 85% of the light from the flash unit will be reflected by the main reflector and approximately 15% by the secondary reflector. These values may vary somewhat when the flash is used with partial light output levels. If the light from the secondary reflector is too bright, it can be reduced by half in the Select Menu. Full secondary reflector support is available for dedicated flash modes.
- Automatic / Manual Reflector Motor-Zoom Control
- Automatic motor zoom reflector with 7 lock-in positions: 24/28/35/50/70/85/105mm (35mm format). The integrated zoom reflector guarantees optimal light output within 24-105mm focal length. If the 58 AF-2C is used with a camera that transmits lens focal length data to the flash unit, the zoom reflector position of the mecablitz is automatically adjusted to the focal length of the lens in use. The LCD display then indicates "A-Zoom" (Auto Zoom) and the zoom reflector setting (mm). The zoom position can also be set manually.
- Integrated Wide-Angle Diffuser
- For lenses with focal lengths of 12 mm or more, the integrated wide-angle diffuser can be positioned over the main reflector. When using the wide-angle diffuser, the main reflector is automatically moved to the 24mm position and 12mm appears on the display as the zoom reflector setting.
- Automatic Flash Mode With 12 Tele-Computer Apertures
- A photo-sensor measures the light reflected by the subject and ends the light output as soon as the subject has been correctly lit. The 12 auto apertures at ISO 100/21° are f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32 and f/45.
- Manual Flash Mode With Full And Partial Lighting Levels
- Full light output and partial light output levels from 1/1 to 1/256 light output in one-third increments available.
- Illuminated LCD Display
- Flash mode, maximum flash range, aperture and the zoom reflector position are all indicated by the LCD display of the flash unit.
- Auto Off
- To save battery power and prevent inadvertent battery discharge, the mecablitz is factory-set to automatically switch to standby mode (Auto-OFF), while the flash-ready light and the indications on the LC display are extinguished, approx. 3 minutes after:
- triggering a flash
- activating the shutter release
- switching off the camera's exposure metering system
After automatic switch-off the last-used settings are retained and instantly available when the flash unit is switched on again. The flash unit is reactivated merely by depressing the Mode or Zoom keys or by touching the camera's shutter release. The Auto-OFF function can be deactivated whenever required.
- Flash Readiness Indication
- Correct Exposure Indication
- In auto flash mode the "o.k." correct exposure confirmation briefly lights up on the 58 AF-2C when the picture was correctly exposed.
- Manual Key-Lock Function
- The Key-Lock function enables the user to lock the buttons on the flash unit to prevent them from inadvertently being pressed.
- Wireless Remote Flash Mode
- Wireless remote operation is compatible with the Canon E-TTL remote system. The remote system consists of a master flash unit on the camera and one or more slave flash units. The slave flash unit(s) is/are triggered by wireless remote control by the secondary reflector of the master flash unit. The light of the secondary reflector does not contribute to the exposure of the shot in this case.
The slave flash unit is assigned to one of three possible groups (A, B or C) (see diagram on the inside back cover). Each of these groups may consist of one or more slave flash units. The entire remote system can be operated by means of either E-TTL or M operating modes.
- Modelling Light
- The modelling light is a sequence of stroboscopic flashes at high frequency for a duration of approximately 3 seconds which give the impression of permanent light. Modelling light enables the user to assess light distribution and shadow formation before taking pictures.
- Cobra Design
- The mecablitz 58 AF-2C utilizes Metz' modernistic upright Cobra design, which also reduces red eye effect.
Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2C Specifications
- Flash Output Guide Number
- GN 58 (m) / GN 190 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 105mm focal length
GN 42 (m) / GN 138 (ft) (ISO 100/21°C) and 50mm focal length
- Power Sources
- Four AA batteries: alkaline or lithium
Four AA rechargeable batteries: NiMH or NiCad
Optional external power supply: Power Pack P76 with cable V58-50
- Recycle Time (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 4.5 seconds with NiMH batteries or high-capacity alkaline manganese batteries
Approx. 2.5 seconds with Power Pack P76 (optional accessory)
- Number of Flashes (at Full Light Output)
- Approx. 250 with 2100 mAh NiMH batteries
Approx. 180 with high-capacity alkaline manganese batteries
Approx. 430 with Metz Power Pack P76 (optional accessory)
- Auto Apertures At ISO 100/21°
- f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32, f/45
- Manual Partial Light Output Levels
- 1/1 to 1/256 light output, in one-third increments
- Sensor Measuring Angle
- approx. 25°
- Color Temperature
- approx. 5600° K
- Film Speed
- ISO 6 to ISO 6400
- Light Coverage
- Main reflector from 24mm (35mm format)
Main reflector with wide-angle diffuser from 12mm (35mm format)
Secondary reflector from 35mm (35mm format)
- Reflector Swivelling Ranges and Locking Positions
- upwards -7° 45° 60° 75° 90°
counter-clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120° 150° 180°
clockwise 30° 60° 90° 120°
- 12.5 oz. (355g)
- Dimensions(W x H x D)
- 2.8" x 5.8" x 3.9" (71 x 148 x 99mm)