Olympus FL-50R Flash
Get Olympus FL-50R Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Exclusively designed for digital, the Olympus FL-50R Dedicated Flash is a powerful, intelligent flash. It is the ideal companion to the Olympus E-3 digital SLR, which features Olympus' newly-developed RC Data Transfer System that transmits data optically. This significantly reduces the power consumption of the built-in flash when being used as the system commander. A wide range of flash-related settings can be easily accessed and adjusted using the camera's LCD display. Wireless flash control is available in three groups, allowing flash mode and compensation settings to be set independently for each group, enabling ultra-precise illumination.
The high guide number of 50 meters/165 feet at 42mm (35mm equivalent of 84mm) and ISO 100 provides the power of a dedicated flash that a pro wants, while the built-in wide panel makes it possible to deliver effective brightness at a focal distance of 8mm (equivalent to 16mm with 35mm camera). Light emitting and brightness control circuitry achieve uniform lighting in the picture area and high brightness control accuracy.
The FL-50R has a rotary flash head that can be rotated in four directions. When the SHV-1 Flash High-Voltage Set (optionally available) is used, it is possible to charge the flash within less than 1.3 seconds. Multiple power options also allow the use of four standard AA type batteries, including Alkaline, NiMh, Lithium or LB-01 (CR-V3).
Olympus FL-50R Flash Key Features
- FL-50R Box Contents
- FL-50R Flash
- FLST-1 Flash Stand
- FLBA-1 Bounce Adapter
- FLRA-1 Reflector Adapter
- Soft Case
- Warranty Card
- Abundant Power - GN 165 (feet) / GN 50 (meters) at 42mm and ISO 100
- With a Guide Number of 50 meters/165 feet at 42mm (35mm equivalent of 84mm) and ISO 100, the FL-50R provides impressive illumination to ensure rich, true color and accurate contrast in a variety of flash conditions. The FL-50R also boasts GN 92 (feet) / GN 28 (meters) performance at the 12mm focal length (equivalent to 24mm on a 35mm camera; ISO 100).
- Wireless Remote Control in Three Groups (A, B and C)
- Giving professionals the freedom and control they need to operate effectively in the studio or in the field, the FL-50R flash unit enables flash photography minus the complication of cords and inconvenient setups. Control is possible directly from the camera without the need for cables. The FL-50R is the ideal companion to the Olympus E-3 digital SLR, which features Olympus' newly-developed RC Data Transfer System that transmits data optically. This significantly reduces the power consumption of the built-in flash when being used as the system commander. Flash control is available in three groups, allowing flash mode and compensation settings to be set independently for each group, enabling ultra-precise illumination.
The user can select from four remote control communication channels to avoid interference with other wireless devices in the vicinity. Photographers also have the option to control wireless transmission distance by choosing between three signal strengths for a range of up to about 33 feet (10 meters). And the FL-50R's adjustable head can be swivelled without impeding its ability to communicate. Any flash mode (TTL-AUTO/AUTO/MANUAL/FP TTL-AUTO/FP MANUAL) can be used. When used in combination with the Olympus E-3 Digital SLR, which features a commander function incorporated in the built-in flash, wireless multi-flash photography is possible without using an outside commander.
- Slave Function
- The slave function allows the FL-50R flash to be used with other Olympus SLR cameras with manual flashing capability and SP Series compact cameras with slave mode operation capability. In addition, the FL-50R be interlocked with a large flash in the studio.
FL-50R with FLRA-1 Reflector Adapter
- Included FLRA-1 Reflector Adapter
- The Reflector Adapter FLRA-1 not only provides a catch light effect, it also softens the effect of bounce lighting by providing auxiliary frontal lighting to eliminate shadows caused by bounce shooting. Usable in both ceiling and wall bouncing, it allows photographers to take advantage of bounce lighting more often and in a wide range of situations. The FLRA-1 comes included with the FL-50R.
- Included FLBA-1 Bounce Adapter
- The Bounce Adapter FLBA-1 can be mounted on the FL-50R flash head and diffuses the flash light to soften the contours of shadows produced in bounce shooting. The FLBA-1 comes with the FL-50R flash unit.
- Super FP Flash Mode
- In addition to supporting the cameras' normal synchronization speed of 1/180 second, the FL-50R flash unit features Olympus' Super FP Flash Mode for wider creative photographic possibilities. The Super FP Flash Mode activates the flash from the instant the shutter opens until it closes again, allowing the flash to be used even at the highest shutter speeds. The Olympus E-3 and E-1 permit flash synchronization at all shutter speeds right down to 1/4000 second.
- TTL-Auto, Auto and Manual Modes
- Bounce and Swivel Head
- Flexible swivel control lets you fine-tune flash direction for maximum creative control.
- Built-in Wide Panel
- The built-in wide panel makes it possible to deliver effective brightness at a focal distance of 8mm (equivalent to 16mm with 35mm camera).
- Automatic Flash Coverage Adjustment
- The flash reflector adjusts automatically in several steps during lens zooming to match the flash coverage to the lens angle of view. A built-in diffuser can be used to obtain wide-angle coverage at an 8mm focal length (equivalent to 16mm on a 35mm camera).
- AF Assist Illuminator
- The flash unit has an AF assist illuminator that extends the range of the camera's focus assist illuminator from 7 to 10 meters.
- Versatile Power Supply Options
- There are several power supply options for the FL-50R flash unit: AA batteries, the LB-01 lithium battery, the FP-1 flash power grip for extra performance and the SHV-1 high voltage pack with an additional powerful battery.
Olympus FL-50R Flash Specifications
- External electronic flash for digital still camera
- Guide Number (ISO 100)
- Automatic switching
GN 92 (feet) / GN 28 (meters) at 12mm focal length (35mm equivalent: 24mm)
GN 165 (feet) / GN 50 (meters) at 42mm focal length (35mm equivalent: 84mm)
18/20 switching with wide panel
- Firing Angle
- Automatic switching
At 12mm focal length (35mm equivalent 24mm): Up-down 61°, Left-right 78°
At 42mm focal length (35mm equivalent 84mm): Up-down 21°, Left-right 28°
At 8mm focal length with wide panel (35mm equivalent 16mm): Up-down 83°, Left-right 101°
*All FourThirds system focal lengths
- Flash Modes
- TTL Auto, Auto, Manual, FP TTL Auto, FP Manual
- Wireless (RC) Function
- Available when flash used with cameras compatible with the Olympus wireless RC flash system
Channel: 4 channel setup
Group: 3 groups control
RC Mode: TTL Auto, Auto, Manual, FP TTL Auto, FP Manual
- Slave Function
- Auto, Manual
- Bounce Angles
- Up: 0 - 90°
Left: 0 - 180°
Right: 0 - 90°
- Custom Setup
- AF illuminator: on/off
Flash cable: on/off
Firing angle display: FourThirds/35mm equivalent
Distance display: m/ft
Flash intensity control: on/off
Wide panel switch disabling: on/off
ISO, F communication in Auto mode: on/off
- Power Supply Internal
- 4 x AA alkaline, 4 x AA NiCd, 4 x AA NiMH, 4 x AA oxyride, 4 x AA lithium, 4 x AA NiCd or 2 x LB-01 (CR-V3) lithium battery packs
- Power Supply External (optional)
- SHV-1 Flash High-Voltage Set, FP-1 Flash Power Grip
- Dimensions (H x W x D, excluding projections)
- 5.6" x 4.2" x 3.1" (141 x 107 x 78 mm)
- 13.6 oz. (385 g) without batteries